In March/April we will focus on the following concepts in ELA:
1. Using a dictionary and glossary to define vocabulary words
in Science and Social Studies.
2. Using a thesaurus to identify and use synonyms and
antonyms in sentences
3. Decoding words with r controlled vowel sounds:er, ar,ur
4. Applying phonetic rules for doubling consonant
5. Using pronouns to replace nouns in sentences
6. Correct usage of a comma
7. Using quotation marks in a sentence
8. Review of rules for forming the plural for nouns
9. Forming possessive nouns by adding 's and s'
10. Using irregular verbs in sentences
Writing Samples April will include:
1. Writing an Opinion--Would you like to be flat like Flat like
Stanley? Explain pros and cons
2. Fact Paragraph about a Famous Inventor--Information will
be provided in class and in computer room.
3. Creative Writing--Seasonal themes include:
1. One day it rained.........
2. Spring poetry
4. Fact paragraph: Ways to help Mother Earth
The book Freckle Juice by Judy Blume will be read in class. When finished the children will write their own recipe using time order words: first, then, next, finally etc. This will give them practice in writing directions.