Math Concepts and Skills for March/April include:
1. Drill of addition and subtraction facts, quiz every
2. Solving word problems using bar diagrams and
equations, and writing sentences to describe the
strategy used to solve a problem
3. Regrouping strategies for addition/subtraction with
three and four digit numbers
4. Interpreting graphs and charts while applying
5. Telling time hour to hour
6. Counting dollars and cents, counting mixed coins: penny, nickel, dime quarter, half dollar, forming. equivalent sums of money using manipulatives
7. Using rulers and different units of measure to describe length
The children will have a card stock clock in their folders for
use in class and for homework. Please keep this in their folders until June. They need to identify time using the following vocabulary: o'clock,___thirty, half-past____, minutes after, a quarter to and a quarter after. This is a difficult skill for many children so I need your help practicing with their folder clocks at home.
The word problem diagrams we use in class will be sent home for your reference when helping your child with homework whenever it is assigned.
They have been glued in their green Math spiral notebook which we use in school.
Please review counting to 100 by 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's to help the children recognize number sequence and patterns. Flashcards should also be used at home to increase speed and accuracy in computation(addition and subtraction facts.)
Practice addition facts with this fun arcade style game!
This is a great site to practice counting and forming sums of money with mixed coins.
Use this site to help practice Math skills at all grade levels.